10 easy steps for revision and exam preparation
These tips will ensure that you've considered and reviewed all the available CIMA® resources and make your exam preparation more effective.
Exam revision can be daunting. To help you, our academic experts offer some essential revision tips as you prepare for your upcoming exams.
- Create a dedicated revision plan: How long will you be able to study for each week? Consider varying the learning – audio aids, visual aids etc. Key tip: Produce a revision timetable leading up to the exam date and stick to it!
- Exam familiarization: Can you describe the exam format, features, time aspects, response requirements and process of the exam? Key tip: Go through CIMA Question Tutorials
- Choose the right revision aid: Have you identified available resources, study options and revision/exam-preparation time required? Have you used ‘pass cards’ or succinct summaries of what you’ve learned? Key tip: Enrol for a revision course with a training provider or purchase question led revision materials.
- Switch to active learning: Switch from passive to more active learning. Start a learning period with question practice, rather than passive reading. Any specific topics you feel needs attention? Key tip: Perform questions under timed conditions to test time management.
- Lessons learned: What went well so far? What’s proving difficult to master? What technique needs improving? Prepare list of actions to address your ‘limiting factors’/’blockers’. Key Tip: Make a note of any mistakes you made (we love yellow stickies) to aid recall.
- Covered everything?: Do you understand what it takes to pass the exam and how it is scored based on blueprint core activities? Key tip: Check your knowledge against the paper specific exam blueprints (the blueprints are used to set exam questions)
- Exam techniques: Are you equipped with exam and recall techniques and time management strategies? Key tip: Develop exam skills and techniques – visit CIMA’s online Study Planner for guidance.
- Mock exam: Performing mock exams are essential - reflect on what can be further improved or learned before the exam day. Key tip: Our data driven evidence reveals performing a mock exams improves your chances of examination success.
- Exam day prep: Do you know the exam day procedure - what to expect at a test centre or online remote exam? Check you’ve preformed a system test if you are doing exam at home/office? Key tip: Exam day guidance can be found here.
- After the exam: What you could have done differently? Key tip: Any techniques you can use for future exams? Worth continuing your studies now you have some momentum